Solo Road Trip- Monument Valley and Chinle, AZ

Monument Valley

On the way to Canyon de Chelly, I noticed that Monument Valley was only 30 miles off my planned route. One of the perks of traveling solo is that you can decide to change and explore whenever you want, so I took the left turn to Monument Valley.

I had seen photos of the valley but didn't know what to expect. Wow I was overwhelmed by the beauty of these natural cathedrals rising from the high desert landscape. For me it was more beautiful than the Grand Canyon where I ran from crowds the day before.

I also did not realize that the valley is in the heart of Navajo Country and is operated by the Tribe not the National Park Service. The $20 entry fee was worth it to get me up close with these huge red buttes. My Outback and I took the 17-mile dirt road tour out and around the monuments as the clouds and rain turned to bright sun illuminating every view.





Chinle, AZ - a Navajo Town 

I arrived in Chinle and found my hotel near the entrance to Canyon de Chelly. Chinle in Navajo means "flowing out" and is a reference to the location where the water flows out of the Canyon de Chelly. The population of Chinle was 4,518 in the 2010 census and today it feels like a vibrant Navajo town.

The Navajo Nation is the largest tribe in our country with a population of 300,000 living on the reservation and some in urban areas. My journey has traversed a lot of the Navajo Reservation which covers 27,000 square miles of Arizona, Utah and New Mexico.

I ventured out for lunch, to the bank and to Basha's the only supermarket in town. The store was crowded with Navajo families shopping and I was clearly the white man in Indian country. While shopping I learned that there are no alcohol sales on the reservation and that was also the case in the hotel restaurant.

Chinle is the gateway to Canyon de Chelly National Monument. The Mnument is manged by the Navajo and there is no fee to enter, but you need a Navajo guide to enter the Canyon. I relaxed for a day enjoying a hotel stay and doing a drive around the canyon rim. Tomorrow I will check into Spider Rock Campground and begin the explore and hike into the canyon. More to follow.








Comments