Solo Road Trip - Camping Gear Reviews

Those who have followed me on Facebook and on this blog have seen that I have gotten back into camping on my solo road trip. Years ago before kids, Bobbi and I did a lot of camping in Southern California deserts and mountains and I even did a few Sierra backpacks.

But that was years ago and camping gear has really evolved since then, so for this trip I invested in updating my camping gear. Now after several nights of cross country camping, I am quite pleased with my gear. For those interested in camping or getting into camping, here are my reviews of some must-have gear for car camping adventures.

Cooking
Much of the joy of camping comes from a freshly cooked meal. To cook a meal in a campsite requires cooking gear that is packable and functional.  I have now cooked several chicken, beef and veggie dishes on my GSI cook set from REI and I love how it works and it's stowaway design. It has everything you need including two pots, a frying pan and lids.

Also from REI, I have a two person plate set including plates, bowls and cups.  The plastic fork, knife and spoon set is another must have.  I also love my GSI cooking utensil set shown below that includes a spatula, flipper, spoon, cutting board, cleaning stuff all in a great carrying case.  To complete my cooking gear I have a larger 14" frying pan, a prep knife and a wine opener.

Oh, I almost forgot, nothing is better than the reliable Coleman two burner propane stove. Same design for years and it can't be beat in my opinion.



Storage
Nothing is more important to car camping than having good storage for your gear. In my early days of camping I had a wood foot locker that worked great but I have upgraded to use two plastic storage boxes, one an "Action Packer" box from Rubbermade and another Rubbermade box with a snap lid. I use one for kitchen and camp gear and the other for food. 

The snap tight lids are important to keep out critters like raccoons who may visit your campsite at night. Both are light weight and hold all the gear and food I need. 

Finally for storage you will need a water source, I use a 2.5 gal. Rubbermade water jug that I use for doing dishes, boiling water for tea and coffee and other water needs in camp.


Relaxing
Camping has to be a relaxing endeavor, or don't do it.  But to relax at your camp site come prepared with relax gear.

First you have to have a hammock and not just any hammock.  Look for ENO stuff sack hammocks and the tree saver straps that will allow you to hang it just about anywhere.  I have a two person model rated at 400 lbs so both Bobbi and I can enjoy it together.

Then a good chair and table is another must.  I have a small folding chair and a collapsible table from REI that work well and pack small.



Sleeping
Finally, a good night's sleep is critical to really enjoy the camping experience.  We are not yet into the RV world so I want a good tent, sleeping bag and pad.  My Coleman 4 person tent has worked well and I love my 3" self inflating pad from REI.  I also have a 20 degree bag from REI that has worked well for summer camping.

For sleeping another must have is a head lamp. Head lamps are great for walking around at night and hanging out in your tent.



Well that's my review of camping gear basics.  Go to Adventure 16 or REI and check out the gear and then get you and your family out into nature and start camping.  Enjoy!






Comments