"Rewirement"

I just returned home last night from a week in China, a week in Scotland, and a week on Washington DC. Traveling alone gives one time to think about things but it is also lonely and exhausting.  It's good to be home.
Devin and Dad in Scotland on Carnoustie 18th hole.

During my travels, I heard the term "rewirement" as a replacement for retirement. I have adopted this as my new status, I am in rewirement, certainly not retirement.

In my second month away from my last full time job of my 40 year work career, I have begin to rewire, to focus in on my passions and joys of in life. How can I rewire to combine passions for public education, public relations, public policy, travel, family and some golf into a coherent, happy produced rewired life?

Month two of rewirement was a good start.  My service as a community college trustee is rewarding and hopefully an area where I can make positive contributions. See my commentary in the Voice on innovation and education.

http://voiceofsandiego.org/2013/07/30/how-s-d-schools-prep-students-for-innovation-economy/



I am excited about helping our community colleges continue to support the dreams of our students to create successful futures. We have a great Board of Trustees and amazing leadership with Chancellor Constance Carroll who is teaching me so much about the world of higher education.

On Monday I start teaching a new class at SDSU, leadership in the public sector. I am excited to meet my new students and to take them on a learning journey about leadership that may help them along their way to a successful career in public administration.

My rewirement is also including some consulting work for Schoolwires (www.schoolwires.com). This amazing company offers website platforms to schools across the country and in China and I look forward to helping them with their marketing and communications programs.  I was able to join them in China to participate in an education conference at Beijing Normal University and visit several schools to learn about technology use in education in China.

I am also consulting for the Zalkin Law Firm, my close friend Irwin Zalkin who passionately represents victims of childhood sex abuse across the country. Learning about legal communications is stimulating and playing a small part to help victims is important and rewarding. 

But most important, rewirement allows more time for family, fun and travel. My week in Scotland golfing everyday with my son Devin reinforced my awareness of how fortunate I am to have Bobbi and my two amazing children.  Devin and I golfed seven straight days and loved our time together. With rewirement, my schedule is more in my control and I will continue to make living in the moment a priority.

Ready for month three of rewirement. Community college meetings and events.  A trip to Wisconsin to visit my family. Working on China /U.S. programs and marketing programs for Schoolwires. Media relations on new lawsuits for Zalkin. Volunteering for CPI and other causes. Planning a family Thanksgiving in the Bay Area. Gardening and home projects. Having dinner ready for Bobbi when she gets home from a hard day at work.  And a little golf in the middle of the week.

Yes. I am rewired!

Feeling free...Dana in Canada.

Comments