Four Days In Grand Staircase Escalante

The Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument makes for an exciting exploration of Utah's natural beauty, with miles of dirt roads leading to canyons, rock formations, streams and lakes to explore.  I decided to take a five day trip that included driving one day six hours from San Diego to St. George Utah. After a night in the Marriott Courtyard, I got up early and drove 3.5 hours to my first stop in Cannonville, Ut. on Scenic Highway 12.

After seeing my Facebook posts, several friends asked me for my itinerary so here it is with some helpful links that I used to plan my trip.

DAY ONE:


Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument
https://www.blm.gov/programs/national-conservation-lands/utah/grand-staircase-escalante-national-monument

Your first stop as you drive in past Bryce National Park and onto the Scenic Hwy 12 should be at the at the Grand Staircase Escalante Visitor Center in Cannonville, UT. The visitor center in this small town got me oriented with maps and road conditions and recommendations from the rangers.











From Cannonville I drove just a few miles more to Henrieville where you turn off for the road to Grosvenor Arch near Kodachrome State Park.  The 12 mile drive on a bumpy dirt road to the arch was worth it.  Just read this if you don't believe me. 
https://www.visitutah.com/places-to-go/parks-outdoors/grand-staircase-escalante/grand-staircase-section/family/grosvenor-arch/


I had lunch with a view of the arch and then drove back to stop at Kodachrome Basin State Park along the same road.
https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/kodachrome-basin/






There are many hiking trails at Kodachrome and a nice campground.  I decided to take the Angels Palace Trail and I loved it.  Check out the views of the park from my short video out to a scary point.  If you have kids be sure to hold on to them for this part!



I finished my first day by driving onward up to Escalante where I stopped at Escalante Outfitters
https://www.escalanteoutfitters.com.  This is a great little place with a super restaurant, friendly staff who can answer questions about the best explorations and a little campground with cabins in the back.  I pitched my tent for $8 and had a great pizza for dinner.  They have showers in the campground where I got ready early the next morning.

DAY TWO:

Devils Garden
https://www.earthtrekkers.com/devils-garden-grand-staircase-escalante/
I started day two with a 16 mile drive on a dirt road to Devils Garden along the famous 55 mile Hole in the Rock Road which was blazed by the Mormon pioneers who settled Utah.  I have a four wheel drive Subaru Outback but really just about any car can make this road and the others I went on if you don't mind bumps and dust.






There are some great slot canyons just a few more miles on this road.  I thought about going to Peek a Boo Canyon but I was not brave enough to do that hike alone so its on my list for another visit.
https://utah.com/hiking/peek-a-boo-slot-canyon

Devils Garden was fun a great place to explore rock formations, Hoodoos, the best in the park.

Here is my selfie with my favorite arch at Devils Garden. After spending about an hour hiking around the rock formations, I headed back out to Escalante.









Posey Lake Campground
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/dixie/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=24984&actid=29

By mid-day, I started the drive up into higher elevation in the Dixie National Forest to Posey Lake.  I had reserved two nights at the campground there and was looking forward to relaxing by the lake and doing some trout fishing.  Here is a video of my arrival at the lake, pretty amazing I had it all to myself!























That afternoon was sunny then windy and rain but I did get in some fishing and caught this 12 inch Brownie on a spinning lure.  He made for a tasty trout fillet dinner.

Day Three


On the morning of day three, I decided that one day at the lake was enough, even though there was plenty to do there and some cool trails I didn't take.  I thought I could come back there on another trip and I wanted more time to explore more of the Grand Staircase.

So I drove north about 45 minute to Boulder, Ut.  This is a cool area with more dirt roads to canyons to explore.  But I only had one day, so I stopped at Anasazi State Park Boulder, Utah https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/anasazi/ to briefly learn about the Fremont culture that settled in this area around 700 AD.

Then I had a great burger at the Burr Trail Grill
https://www.yelp.com/biz/burr-trail-grill-boulder.

From Boulder I backtracked to the Escalante River area where there are tons of trails along the river and the most popular trail that is a must do, the Lower Calf Creek Falls Trail
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/utah/lower-calf-creek-falls-trail.

The trail head was packed in the afternoon but I was lucky to get a great campsite in the campground next to the trailhead so I could get up early to do the hike the next day.

Day Four

I was up and on the trail by 7:45 am, I wish I started even earlier than that.  What a great time to make this hike.  The sun was coming up over the canyon walls so it was a mixture of cool shade and warm sun for the 2.5 mile fairly level hike along the creek up to the falls.  Along the way I enjoyed nature, the Box Elders, Gambrel Oaks, Yellow Warblers, Spotted Towhees, and some petroglyphs on the canyon walls.  Then I arrived to this amazing 120 foot waterfall which I had to myself since I was the first hiker to arrive that day.





I got back to my campsite by 11 am.  On the hike back I greeted a steady flow of hikers who would get to the falls and start enjoying them with a crowd.  You just have to make this hike early people!

I took down my tent, packed up my car and started the drive home.  I took a different route and drove through Zion National Park back to St. George. I spent the night in St. George again before the long drive back to San Diego hitting traffic, this time it took about 7.5 hours.  Zion was packed with people, so busy now in the summer they have shuttle buses going into the canyon like Yosemite.  It made me happy that I went to the Grand Staircase and not to this overcrowded parks during the summer.  Hit Zion and Bryce in the off season.

I had great weather but beware where I went can be hot in the summer.  Remember, hike early or late and nap in the heat of the day.

Grand Staircase Escalante offers tons of explorations and I will return!




Comments

Unknown said…
Sounds like a great adventure. Enjoyed reading and living vicariously!