My Seven Favorite Fitness Podcasts: Motivation, Nutrition and Exercise Info for Every Body

I am now 70 years old and I have been working at getting stronger and fit for 10 years.  I have been working out at a couple of local gyms with personal trainers for a decade and as I continue to age, my commitment to fitness and health have increased.  I am determined to get through my 70's, 80's as strong and healthy as possible and being committed to an exercise routine is a critical part of my plan.

Part of this journey is learning more about why exercise and movement is so important to healthy aging. Another part of the journey is maintaining and increasing my motivation and positive attitude about life, aging and exercise.  To learn more about exercise and nutrition and to get myself motivated, I have explored fitness podcasts and have sampled probably 20 different podcasts from the many that you can find in the Apple Podcast platform.  Now, I listen subscribe to about 10-15 fitness/motivation podcasts regularly that keep me motivated and learning. My wife teases me that I spend more time listening to fitness podcast than I do actually exercising! She's right but I do manage to get in 3-4 workouts a week!

So if you are interested in learning about exercise, nutrition and motivation to help you get and stay healthy and strong as you age, check out fitness podcasts.  Here is my list of favorites with links to where you can subscribe.

1. All About Fitness with Pete McColl.

All About Fitness was my first discovery when I started listening to fitness podcasts. Pete McColl is a Fitness Professional who lives in the San Diego area who interviews other fitness experts on a wide range of topics from exercise science to nutrition. Pete is so genuine and passionate about fitness that you have to love his approach.  He is passionate about educating others about why exercise is the best way to age healthy and his interviews all support that conclusion.  He has hundreds of great interviews in his library to explore and several books that he has written about exercise benefits. His interviews are each about 1 hour long and all of his guests will teach you something new about the benefits of exercise and healthy aging. https://petemccallfitness.com/podcasts/

2. The Impact Show with Todd Durkin.

If you want to get inspired and motivated about your health, fitness and life in general, this is the podcast for you. On each episode and in all of his interviews with other fitness pros and athletes, Todd Durkin will fire you up to take on each day. I am a member of Todd's gym in San Diego, Fitness Quest 10, and I get to see his passion and enthusiasm for life up close, in person and he brings that positivity to each episode of his Impact podcast. To get fired up for your workouts and your day, listen to the Impact Show. https://todddurkin.com/podcast/

3.  The Silver Edge Over 50 Health and Wellness Podcast with Kevin English.

Kevin English is a 56 year old personal trainer who specializes in working with older adults. His podcast features great interviews with older fitness enthusiasts who have overcome obstacles in their lives to embrace a healthy fit lifestyle.  I have connected with many of his guests on Instagram who I now follow to be inspired by what other older adults can accomplish through exercise and strength training.  His interview style brings out the best in his guests and their stories have been inspiring and motivating for me. I love Kevin's mission statement, " Inspiring people over 50+ to optimize fitness and live their strongest, healthiest and most fulfilling lives." https://silver-edge.com 

4. Mind Pump with Sal, Adam and Justin.

Sal, Adam and Justin are just fun to listen to! These experienced personal trainers are close friends who spend the first half of their weekly show just talking about whatever is on their minds from parenting, to the pandemic to some politics. Their friendly banter is always fun and insightful and for the second half of their show they answer questions about exercise, nutrition and fitness.  They have a big focus on strength training and getting into the details of why and how weight lifting creates big benefits for health and fitness. Mind Pump is a fun and informational show from three likable guys who just want to help us get fit and stay healthy. https://www.mindpumpmedia.com 

5. Muscle for Life with Mike Mathews.

If you want to get deep into the details of exercise and nutrition, the Mike Mathews podcast is for you.  He is a best selling author and fitness entrepreneur who shares his huge knowledges of exercise science and nutrition in each episode.  Some episodes are over my head but I have learned a lot from this podcast. www.legionathletics.com

6. Sweat Out Happiness In with Jason and Lauren Pak.

Jason and Lauren run a gym in Boston and also offer online training programs.  This husband and wife duo are fun to listen to and share practical and doable advice for working out and getting fit.  I enjoy their interactions and they seem like such nice people that I would love to meet in person.  This podcast is my most recent discovery and now I look forward to their weekly episodes. They keep the episodes short 20-30 minutes and very focused and helpful. https://www.achievefitnessboston.com 

7. Seasoned Athlete with Robin Legat.

I had the pleasure of meeting Robin Legat when she came to the Senior Games Fitness events at Fitness Quest 10 last year. Robin is a 40+ personal trainer and Spartan Racer from Los Angeles who believes that we can all be athletes regardless of our age.  On Seasoned Athlete she primarily interviews other women athletes over 40 who have inspiring stories to tell about their fitness journey. Her interviews are always engaging and inspiring.  Yeah, I'm a 70 year old guy but I still enjoy and learn from Robin's podcast. https://www.robinlegat.com

So my fellow workout lovers, that's my list of favorite fitness podcasts.  As I said, I listen to several more than this but these are my faves. I find listening to these shows is educational motivating and also an escape from the depressing news on the pandemic and the horrid state of our national political scene.  I am trying to stay healthy through exercise and get through my own aging with a positive attitude and increased strength to enjoy my family and have some fun with golf, bike rides and enjoying nature. Give these shows a listen and maybe they will help you too!

















Comments