Solo Road Trip - Breckenridge and Colorado Mountains

My next stop on this journey was Breckenridge, CO, again thanks to Doug and Karen.  They have a small "chalet" they offered as a place to stay, located in a beautiful RV park just north of Breckenridge village.  After a five hour ride filled with podcasts, I pulled into Thunder Run Park and started what was to be the most relaxing three days I can ever remember.

The Chalet

"Blue" (my Outback) was quite happy to pull into this spot for a few days!





This little cabin had everything I needed to enjoy and explore Breckenridge for a few days before I started the long drive across the prairies to Wisconsin. I enjoyed sitting on the deck listening to the river and grilling dinner the first night.

The Hike

Then in the morning, I was determined to conquer a Colorado mountain trail, so I set out early to Spruce Creek Trail ready to climb up to Mohawk Lake.  Wow!  What I hike it was.  It challenged me with a difficult 1,600 elevation gain at 11,000 ft altitude, a real huff and puff on the way up.  But the views were amazing.  This trail was just 15 minutes from town up a dirt road.  I look forward to exploring more trails here next time.




The Golf

On the next day I decided to try some mountain golf.  Breckenridge Golf Club is a 27-hole municipal golf course that is a Jack Nicklaus design gem.  I teed off alone at 7:30 am and enjoyed a fast 9 holes with amazing views and challenging holes.  The second nine I played with a father and son from Kansas City and enjoyed the conversation and the golf.  I actually pared a couple of holes and birdied a Par 5 hole but my bad shots were with me, leading to a 108 for 18.  Overall a fun fun day.


The Town

Breckenridge must be crazy in the winter filled with skiers.  It felt busy in town but not overwhelmingly crowded.  The main street is filled with historic and new buildings with shops and restaurants.  I tried the Canteen Taphouse for lunch after golf and enjoyed the four-cheese grilled cheese and a craft beer on their patio.  Overall I give the restaurant and the town of Breckenridge four stars as a great place to visit in the Colorado mountains.










Comments