Solo Road Trip- Kaibab Lake

The sun is going down over Kaibab Lake, about 50 miles south of the Grand Canyon. I am sitting in my campsite enjoying a glass of wine and thinking about the day and plans for tomorrow. Day one of my solo road trip to Wisconsin has gone well.

The 7 1/2 hour drive from San Diego was smooth. I entertained myself with podcasts, several episodes of Sounds of the Trail which are stories from summer through-hikers on the Appalachian, Continental Divide and Pacific Crest Trails.  As I venture out alone, their stories of solo hikes were inspiring and fascinating making the drive go quickly.

As I pulled into Kaibab Lake National Forest campground it was raining. I discovered that I packed my wife's rain jacket not mine and it barely fits and the zipper is reversed from a men's jacket! Ugh, first packing mistake but I'll survive.  The rain stopped and the camp is set up and ready for the night.


After a glass of wine it's time for my first camp dinner, some brats I brought from home and fresh veggies, nothing fancy.

I have already met my neighbors, an older couple from Lake Havasu here in their RV.  I'm jealous but maybe someday.  Abby tells me he bought the camper with two slide outs, solar power for about $35k.


Well, I plan to enjoy my sleeping pad and sleeping bag from REI that I got for about $200! Anyway it was fun talking to him about RV life.

It's such a peaceful evening here, quiet with the smell of the pines. I love the mountains and so far I am OK with being alone. I'll be in my tent early after sunset and listen to my book and get up early. Tomorrow it's off to explore the Grand Canyon, my first time there. I can come back here tomorrow night but I may decide to keep going east, so I'll pack everything up in the morning to keep my options open. I hope to get in a good hike tomorrow.

Have I said how much I love my Subaru Outback... Haha.  More to follow.



Comments

baltoro said…
Outbacks are the best!
B. Scheid said…
I'm jealous! Sounds like a great trip, Bernie. And like a good Wisconsinite...brats for your first dinner. Perfect! Next: break out the cheese curds! Safe travels.
Bob Scheid