10 Things I Learned About France

Things I learned and liked in no particular order. Through Loire and Provence and before Paris.

1.  First, speaking and understanding French is hard! I have to try to stop thinking and speaking Spanish, saying Oui and not Si.  And I need to learn not to pronounce the last letter of words. Tours is Tour not Tours.

2. So many French towns end with the letters ac. I think I have seen hundreds since Paris. Beyac, Carnac and every other ac you could think of, they have them all here.

3. Yes, the bread is better here. We have stopped at a boulangerie or a store every day for a baguette to have for lunch and they are all crunchy and chewy, yum!


4. They love cheese in France. We have loved baguettes with Roquefort or blu cheese smooshed into each bite. Cheese is served as a desert course at meals, a nice transition to the desert course that follows.

5.  Driving is pretty easy here.  The roads are in great shape, no potholes to be found. Once you get used to roundabouts it's a breeze. Just used your google gps to keep from getting lost.


6.  The French are friendly and polite. But away from the hotel not much English is spoken so we have muddled through with Merci, Si Vous plait, Bon jour, la addition Si vou plait, and a few more poorly pronounced phrases. But the French have been patient and kind always.

7.  You hardly ever see a Gendarme or police car. Knock on wood.

8. Restaurants are very expensive. Count on $20 per person average for meals more with wine. That's just a regular restaurant nothing fancy. This canard (duck) with veggies and macaroni and cheese was more, 24 euros but delicious.


9.  I don't have a Chip and Pin credit card and wish I did.  Europe is ahead of us and seems to be adopting chip and pin cards which are more secure and phasing out the magnetic strip cards that we have. I tried my credit cards at three self serve gas stations before I figured out that they only take chip and pin cards.  Many grocery stores use them too. So for gas I need to find full service stations and have plenty of cash on me. I may get a chip and pin card for my next trip to Europe.

10.  There are only certain times you can eat in France.  Breakfast is late, 9 am. Lunch is 12-2:30. And dinner is at 8. Restaurants all close in between so if you are hungry and go to a restaurant trying to eat at other times they will think you are weird.


Comments

Unknown said…
Hey Bernie, I love your travelogue. I enjoy your observations. I too traveled a bit in France and also found the French to be polite and patient. I listened to French tapes before I went to learn how to say Good Morning, Good Afternoon and Good Evening because I found out that in France, it is considered good manners to always greet the employees or owners of a business first--so I did so upon entering any establishment. I also learned a couple of slang words: genial and parfait. Genial pronounced with your best French accent (Jhen-nee-ALL) means "fine, great, excellent" and parfait (like our dessert) means perfect. Give those a try when someone asks you how you like something. It always gets a smile and a laugh because they are not expecting it. Melissa